About the North Brevard
The Historical Society of North Brevard was originally formed in September 1966 by a small group of local residents who were interested in preserving the history of the area.
Historical Society & Museum
Some of those first people included Bill and Tina Kennedy, Ruth Barnhart, Bob Hudson, Rod Northcutt, Kay Phillips, Mary Schuster and Marge Threlkeld.
Decisions made by the early members included the creation of By-Laws, design of the logo and the designation of boundaries covered by the museum.
The purpose of the society at the time was to be "The collection, preservation, recording and display of historical artifacts, photographs and written records of an area to stretch from Port St. John to the Volusia County Line and from the Atlantic Ocean to the St. John's River."
That charter exists to this day. The society has had many homes between 1966 until 1988 mostly meeting in various members homes, until acquiring our present location in historic downtown.
A local businessman, Glenn Patch donated the space at 301 South Washington for the museum which was renovated for this use. This generous gift was made permanent in 1995 by Mr. Patch with the addition to the building at 303 South Washington. These buildings house the Society and the museum's collection to this day.
The present home to the museum has had several renovations by generous people including Les Widick, Herb Lorenzo and William "Bill" Mattingly.
The historical artifacts in the Museum have been donated by individuals and organizations, although some items are on loan to the Historical Society. This collection continues to grow with new items arriving often.
- The Historical Society was established as a not for profit organization in 1966.
- Incorporated in 1982.
- The current Museum opened in 1989.
- In 1999 the exterior was renovated.
- The Historical Society was 43 years old in October 2009 and the Museum celebrated its 20 year anniversary
- The Historical Society currently has over 300 members and counting
- Newsletters are sent to members (usually nine a year)
- Meetings are held on the fourth Monday of the month, time, place and program announced in the newsletter
The museum offers free guided tours to clubs, school groups, boy/girl scouts, fraternal groups, etc. We can also provide speakers for meetings. If your group is interested in a tour or speaker, please let us know.
The Historical Society receives no funds from the City of Titusville, the County of Brevard or the State of Florida. All operating funds are obtained by membership dues, donations and fund raisers.
As a member you will receive membership privileges which include speaker invitations, event invitations and newsletters of current events.
There is no charge for admission to the museum. Approximately 75 volunteers who are members of the Historical Society staff the museum daily.
We are an all volunteer organization - Sometimes the museum is closed during posted hours due to staffing concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please feel free to call ahead.
We are always looking for fun and interesting people to help staff the museum. If you have some spare time and would like to volunteer for a few hours a month, please give us a call.
Our museum & library includes:
- Artifacts back to Col. Titus & early Titusville
- Books for sale on local history and by local authors
- Historical clothing and textiles
- Domestic, work and business tools
- Citrus & space artifacts
- Cemetery information
- Many books on local and state history
- Titusville City Directories dating back to 1926
- Titusville High School yearbooks dating back to 1940
- Astronaut High School yearbooks dating back to 1973
- Miscellaneous Jackson and Madison Middle School yearbooks
- Many historical photographs, panoramas of photos, postcards and memorabilia
- Many maps and reference materials