To Brevard Museum homepage

The
Brevard Museum
of History and Natural Science

Where History Comes Alive!


A Brief History of Brevard Museum

The Brevard Museum, Inc., also known as the Brevard Museum of History and Natural Science, is conveniently located in Cocoa, Florida bordering the Eastern Florida State College Cocoa campus and the city's original water supply, Clearlake.  A not-for-profit corporation since 1969 existing under the laws of the state of Florida; the museum sits on a 22 acre parcel of land that includes a 19.5 acre nature preserve encompassing three florida ecosystems.

The museum began with a group of local citizens called Friends of the Brevard Museum who saw a need to preserve both artifacts and specimens of the indian river area of the east coast of Florida.  In 1973 the museum opened to the public using a portable classroom donated by the Brevard County School Board.

In 1978 a permanent facility was dedicated, with funding provided by the Grace and Albert Taylor trust. Mrs. Taylor, an early Brevard resident interested in preserving the history and natural beauty of the area, left a bequest specifically for the development of a museum to accomplish this purpose.  The museum also acquired Mr. & Mrs. Taylor's extensive collection of antiques and historic artifacts that she had meticulously documented since her arrival in the area in 1895. 

As interest in the museum continued to grow with many visitors, active volunteers and school groups; programs were developed to emphasize the history and ecology of the area and the importance of conserving our natural resources.  Funds for further construction were secured from the state with a match provided through a community fund drive of private donations to build a second wing with a connecting lobby and museum store.  The Winchester Wing was dedicated in march of 1992 and is devoted to on-going exhibitions that tell the story of Brevard County's history and natural environment and to a hands-on classroom.

The Taylor Wing exhibit hall is now used for changing exhibitions, some traveling and some designed in-house.  The wing also has a hands-on "imagination station" for the young and young at heart.

The entire museum complex consists of a 14,750 square foot facility with parking for 75 cars, a covered pavilion, an outside restroom facility, a tool storage area and workshop and a 19.5-acre nature preserve.  Governed by a board of trustees, the day-to-day management of the museum is overseen by the executive director.


Please call the museum at (321) 632-1830, or eMail BMHS@BREVARDMUSEUM.ORG for more information.

The BMHNS is a 501 (C)(3) Not-for-Profit.


BACK to the Brevard Museum




 


Titusville is a wonderfully varied community.

Amazon Prime
includes music &
FREE 2 day shipping
 
HOME

Titusville Area     Businesses

Calendar/Events
    Festivals
Places to Go
    Things to Do
    Ecotourism
About the NBBD

Community
Organizations

Government

Maps
Get out and go!

Keeping you up to date with what's going on.

Keeping you up-to-date with what is available and what is going on in the Titusville, FL area. Contact the webmaster for most anything by
CLICKING HERE
A solidarity movement for gender equality.  
the North Brevard Area
Produced by Peak Performance Co.
nbbdcom@gmail.com
Last updated: 3/16/17 — © 1996 - 2016
• Info on participating in this directory.
• Info for non-profits.
• We can register, produce, host and market your Internet presence.
New look. New features. Coming along.